Overview of Alpaca Fleece Processing
Location: Alpaca Learning Studio at Quarry Critters Alpaca Ranch
When: Choose from the drop down box
Time: 3 hours
Instructor: Julie Wysong
In this overview, you will participate in the processing of 8 ozs of alpaca fleece.
- *Meet an alpaca
- – if interested in knowing more about alpacas, it would be a good idea to sign up for a ranch tour to learn more about the care and handling of an alpaca.
- * Learn fleece characteristics – alpaca’s fleece
- * Skirt, clean and tumble an alpaca fleece
- *Dye alpaca fiber
- – for more in depth, hands on experience, consider signing up for a 2 hour dye class
- *Card alpaca fiber
- – for more in depth, hands on experience, consider signing up for a 2 hour carding class.
- *Watch a spinning wheel demonstration, use a drop spindle
- -sign up to learn to spin
- Discuss some finishing techniques and look at finished products.
Many of these activities will be demonstrated with some hands-on experiences.
This overview class is appropriate for school age students up to adults of any age.